Stocks Gadget missing on Windows 7 RTM
If you have used this gadget you probably know that all of the other available stock gadgets don’t come close to its looks and ease of use. I was really disappointed to see Microsoft remove the gadget from the tool kit in the final version of Windows 7.
I am sure they had their reasons; my best guess is whoever provided the quotes for this gadget didn’t want to do it anymore? Or maybe because it does have a 20 minute delay and most apps are real time now?
I was able to find a solution to get the Stock Gadget running on Windows 7 RTM.
I will detail the solution here but to give credit where credit is due I found the solution here (thanks AthlonXP1800):
1) You will need to have the Gadget from Windows 7 RC1 (although I am sure its floating around the internet.) You can find the files you need at “C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\Stocks.Gadget” (copy the entire folder)
2) You will also need the “C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\wlsrvc.dll” DLL file from the Windows 7 RC1 machine.
NOTE: If you cannot find a Windows 7 RC1 machine you could try using these files from a Vista machines although I am not sure if it would work.
3) Click the Start button, type CMD, when it comes up right click on it and run as administrator (or just press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER after typing CMD)
4) Once the command prompt window is open type the following commands:
CD “\Program Files\Windows Sidebar”
TASKKILL /F /T /IM SIDEBAR.EXE
TAKEOWN /f wlsrvc.dll
icacls wlsrvc.dll /grant %username%:F
5) Take that DLL file from your other machine and copy it to “c:\program files\windows sidebar”
6) Finally, copy the Stocks.Gadget Folder from the other machine and copy it to “c:\program files\windows sidebar\gadgets” folder.
7) You can restart the Sidebar application by running “c:\program files\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe” or by rebooting your PC.
About EricMy name is Eric Weintraub. I am an IT Professional with over 12 years of real world experience. I currently work as a Senior IT Manager for a large software company that develops products for Information Technology workers. Professionally, I love what I do and it shows in my work. Personally, I enjoy technology as a whole. Enterprise Technology, Social Media, and Mobile technologies are all things I follow. I also love to play golf, go snowboarding, cook, love to eat, and read. Also big on photography, check out my recent photography at http://www.ericweintraubphotography.com and also Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericweintraub/. As much as I don’t have a lot of free time, I always come across things that I believe could help others. I just wanted to be able to share what I find with others. Thanks for reading the blog, please setup a RSS feed and keep in touch! Eric Weintraub
Search digital Jive
- February 2017 (1)
- January 2017 (4)
- April 2016 (1)
- August 2015 (4)
- July 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (1)
- March 2015 (1)
- March 2013 (2)
- February 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (2)
- July 2012 (2)
- April 2012 (6)
- March 2012 (2)
- January 2012 (3)
- December 2011 (1)
- November 2011 (2)
- October 2010 (1)
- August 2010 (1)
- July 2010 (1)
- February 2010 (5)
- August 2009 (5)
- July 2009 (2)
- June 2009 (10)
- Windows Update Stuck on “Searching for Updates” on Windows Server 2012 R2
- Query Azure SQL Database Table via Powershell
- Secure PowerShell Scripts running via Windows Task Scheduler using MD5 Hashes to safeguard against Tampering
- Unauthorized 401 when calling Coldfusion CFC Component WebService on IIS
- Connect to Azure SQL Database using ColdFusion 10/11/2016